Programs & Events Calendar
Caregivers Alberta offers a mix of educational and respite focused programs each month. These include in-person workshops, online webinars, and the Caregiver Support Community. Please check back regularly or sign up for our monthly newsletter Caregiver Connections to stay up to date!
- This event has passed.
COMPASS for the Caregiver (5 Week Workshop | Lacombe)
September 10 at 1:30 pm - 4:00 pm$30 – $45
Caregiving can be a stressful, isolating, and overwhelming experience. And due to the COVID-19 pandemic many caregivers are experiencing added levels of stress and anxiety.
The award-winning COMPASS for the Caregiver program by Caregivers Alberta helps caregivers balance their own well-being with the challenges of caregiving. This course is facilitated by someone who understands those challenges and is a licensed COMPASS Facilitator with Lacombe & District FCSS.
This workshop is a multi-session, consecutive course. Before registering please ensure that you can attend all weekly sessions listed below.
Thursday, September 10, 2020 (1:30 PM to 4:00 PM)
- Module 1: Being a Caregiver – Caregiving can be stressful, isolating, and have a negative impact on your physical and mental health. Understand your role as a caregiver and assess your strengths, challenges and overall sense of self.
Thursday, September 17, 2020 (1:30 PM to 4:00 PM)
- Module 2: Building Awareness – Recognizing others’ needs is sometimes easier than seeing our own. Gain awareness of your needs, explore your emotions and feelings and help put challenging thoughts into perspective.
Thursday, September 24, 2020 (1:30 PM to 4:00 PM)
- Module 3: Managing Your Stress – Learn how stress can lead to burnout and what you can do to prevent or recover from burnout. We’ll explore how to shift our mindset and seek balance in caregiving.
Thursday, October 1, 2020 (1:30 PM to 4:00 PM)
- Module 4: Balancing Relationships – Improve your communication skills to identify what you need, ask for help, and share the care. The hardest lesson as a caregiver is to regain your identity as a whole person by taking care of yourself first.
Thursday, October 8, 2020 (1:30 PM to 4:00 PM)
- Module 5: Navigating the System – Increase your confidence in accessing services, reflect on your caregiving journey, and plan for the future to avoid the stress associated with uncertainty.
The COMPASS for the Caregiver workshop has a $300 value. Thanks to sponsorship from Caregivers Alberta and Lacombe & District FCSS this course is being offered for a $30.00 manual and registration fee. We understand many caregivers live on limited incomes. Upon individual request to Caregivers Alberta, participants can apply to our Compass Scholarship Fund and receive assistance with registration fees if needed. Please contact our office with questions.